What is OPI/OPIc?
The ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) is a globally standardized assessment of functional language speaking ability that consists of a 20-30-minute interactive interview between a certified ACTFL examiner and an examinee.
Oral Proficiency Interview – Computer (OPIc) is an internet delivered test which provides valid and reliable oral proficiency testing on a large scale. The OPIc rates the full range of the ACTFL scale, from Novice through Superior, taking, on average, between 20 and 40 minutes to complete.
- VLS has over 29 years of experience in providing Vietnamese language and culture education.
- Our ACTFL certified instructors participated in the 2020-2021 Oral Proficiency Guidelines Project organized by the Southeast Asian Language Council to define assessment benchmarks for Vietnamese OPI and OPIc.
- Our Course materials, created based on the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines, cover a wide variety of concrete and abstract subjects.
- Personalized OPI/OPIc programs accurately reflect your proficiency levels and needs to help you further improve all aspects of your Vietnamese oral communication skills.
The instructor will work cohesively with you to holistically determine patterns of language strengths and weaknesses to develop a personalized, compact lesson plan that systematically walks you through multiple topic-based lesson units, interactive practices, supplemental materials, full-length mock interviews and progress assessments to improve and refine your speaking skills. Through carefully structured and monitored lessons, you will learn how to effectively and spontaneously navigate, respond to and excel in linguistically unfamiliar situations posed during the test.
What to expect?
- Pre-Program Assessment: Our academic department will identify your key areas of strengths and weaknesses to personalize your lessons accordingly, accurately targeting all assessment factors of the test—function, accuracy, content and context, and text type.
- 20 Progressive Skill-Building Lesson Topics: In each lesson, the instructor will provide a series of questions that comprise a wide range of vocabulary, grammar and sentence structures to facilitate spontaneous language comprehension and production.
- Full-length Mock Interviews: Frequent rehearsal will train you to strategically formulate well-elaborated responses and familiarize you with all four stages of the interview—introduction, warm-up, interview and cool down.
- Periodic Progress Evaluation: Through multiple practices, the instructor will closely examine how your speech is elicited and provide diagnostic feedback. Sequentially, the instructor will make any necessary and immediate adjustments to ensure a comprehensive improvement of your speaking skills.
- Post-Program Assessment: Mirroring the actual OPI/OPIc, a practice OPI/OPIc will prepare you to fuel your own concentration and utilize your personal experience as well as everything that you have learned throughout the program to successfully complete the official test.