Construction of the zoo began in 1864, initiated by French official De La Grandière, on 12 hectares of land. In late 1865, it was expanded by 20 hectares.
JB. Loius Pierre, from the Calcutta Botanical Garden, India, was assigned the first director of the Saigon Zoo.
In 1926, the French government built a temple near the main gate of the zoo. After 1975, it has become the Hung Kings Temple.
Facing the Hung Kings Temple is the Saigon National Museum, which was inaugurated in 1929 in the name Blanchard de la Brosse, displaying nearly 3,000 antiques. The work is now the Vietnam-HCMC Museum of History. The museum displays 25,000 documents and photos of the southern region's history, culture and ethnography.
Saigon Zoo is now one of the eight oldest zoos in the world.
There are many ancient trees in the zoo and a collection of 1,000 plant species.
The zoo was home to only 60 species of mammals, reptiles and birds before 1975, but it is now home to more than 1,000 items from 123 species, and several thousand plants.
It has many kinds of rare animals, such as Indo-chinese tigers, white Bengal tigers, Indochinese leopards and African lions.
The conservation site attracts millions of visitors each year, including thousands of local pupils and students on study tours.
The Saigon Zoological and Botanical Garden also boasts ties with international organizations such as the South East Asian Zoos Association and the International Union for Conservation of Nature.
HCMC plans to build another zoo called Sai Gon Safari covering an area of 465 hectares in Cu Chi District.
Some photos of the Saigon Zoo:
At the middle of the zoo is a lotus pond, which is also the habitat of birds.
A lion is taking a nap.
The rare white Bengal tiger, bred successfully in the zoo. Earlier, the zoo successfully bred five Indochinese tigers at the same time.
Looking at this picture, one may think of a wildlife park in Africa.
Zebras and antelopes.
A greenhouse for the cultivation of orchids.
Cactus garden in the zoo.
The zoo has many amusement areas for children.
A peaceful corner of the zoo.